long term support release

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 25 16:43:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 13:28 -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 10:50 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > What earthly reason would you have to run some old code set, with not
> > > even close to guaranteed updates, let alone timely ones, with little
> > > man power behind it, and the opportunity to be ignored by most package
> > > owners?
>
> > Because that's still better and more effective than getting lost in the
> > Fedora upgrade maelstrom
>
> OK, that can be an issue.

Note: Upgrade, not update! The experience of upgrading from FC7 to FC8
had not been pleasant :/

> >                          and getting lost in the bureaucracy Fedora
> > suffers from
>
> Examples? Suggestions to streamline?
>
> >              and better than continuing to use a completely discontinued
> > distro.
>
> CentOS isn't "completely discontinued"...

I realize, some mails from me seem to be stuck in RH's spam filter :/

I have been proposing to extend the life-time of discontinued Fedora's
on completely open and free, volunteered basis (similar to what Legacy
once did).

> > > And why aren't those reasons satisfied with RHEL/CentOS which doesn't
> > > have these problems?
>
> > For me, CentOS is an ultra conservative, stagnating distro not meeting
> > my demands. It may-be suitable for those who want to set up a server and
> > run it with minimal support for the next 4 years - To me it's non
> > interesting.
>
> So you want bleeding-edge packages, ultra-conservative distribution
> version?
No, I want a middle ground: E.g. the status quo of FC7 with the bug
fixes from FC8+, but without the bugs and warts FC8 is currently
suffering from.

Or simpler: ATM, I can't recommend upgrading to FC8 to anybody.
Upgrading to it is premature. Wait until FC9 is out, may-be then FC8 has
become sufficiently usable.

> Perhaps Debian unstable, with its rolling updates (and never, ever a new
> version) is what you are looking for?
If Debian was rpm-based, I probably would have switched to it long time
ago ;)

Ralf