long term support release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 16:59:46 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>> And why aren't those reasons satisfied with RHEL/CentOS which doesn't
>> have these problems?
> For me, CentOS is an ultra conservative, stagnating distro not meeting
> my demands. It may-be suitable for those who want to set up a server and
> run it with minimal support for the next 4 years - To me it's non
> interesting.

I don't think a kernel or libc should be "interesting" and the only
reason to change them should be to get one that works with new hardware.
   Server apps also tend to be mostly feature-complete even in old
versions.  However desktop apps are evolving rapidly and there really is
a missing spot in fedora/rhel style distributions since nothing provides
both kernel/core library stability and current application versions.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com