long term support release

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 25 13:52:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 09:56 -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> > Anyway, meanwhile, things in Fedora-land have changed.
> >
> > What prevents Fedora from launching a "Fedora LTS" as part of Fedora,
> > using the Fedora infrastructure, e.g. by simply imply declaring "Fedora
> > 7" life time's extended for, say 2 years, when FC9 comes out?
> >
> > The price would be fairly small.
>
> s/fairly small/extremely large/
How?

I am talking about entirely handing over a (discontinued) Fedora version
to the community. Apart from individuals with an @RH address which of
cause could continue to participate, RH's role would be to provide the
infrastructure.

>                                  In particular, the infrastructure
> > already is in place. All what would have to be implemented would be some
> > regulations/conventions concerning "ABI/APIs" and ACLs.
>
> And having /three/ branches of Fedora instead of /two/
6 instead of 5 (EL-4, EL-5, FC-7, FC-8, rawhide + soon EL-6), on an
entirely volunteered basis.

> No, "then just get the newest package then and integrate it with the rest"
> doesn't cut it. If I want LTS it is exactly because I don't want ABI/API or
> configuration changes /at all/.
Then RHEL would be the appropriate choice for you.

For a Fedora LTS I would like to see a "consistent ABI/API", but not
stagnating/constant ones.

> > However, I recall FESCO (or had it been FAB?) having decided on FC's
> > short life-time
>
> Very good idea, helps keeping the distribution focused on bleeding edge and
> minimizes spreadout of the (very limited!) developers.
Well, IMO, it has helped degrading a once usable distro into what
suspiciously resembles "rawhide snapshots".

Ralf