InstantMirror needs a rethink

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Jan 27 17:04:08 UTC 2008

Le dimanche 27 janvier 2008 à 10:30 -0500, Jeffrey Tadlock a écrit :
> 2008/1/27 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:

> I can see larger networks having transparent proxies and such setup,
> but the home user enthusiast or small business?  I don't think they
> would be as likely.

Open your eyes then. A transparent proxy is a general purpose tool many
entities use, it may come in an appliance, have been installed by a
third-party years ago, depend on a different department, etc

Just because one or several users have the access needed to deploy
Fedora on a few computers does not mean they can touch the associated
infrastructure

> I see InstantMirror of filling a niche for the
> small office or home user enthusiast as a low barrier entry into
> caching updates locally.

It only fills a niche for entities which have already decided to invest
heavily in Fedora (and it does not change with entity size, since a huge
corp will have to pass all sorts of internal procedures & budget reviews
to deploy it, and a single home user will have to devote comparatively a
lot of time to find and set it up). Ergo in terms of market penetration
help it's useless.

--
Nicolas Mailhot