[Guideline] Release number for rebuilds

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Jan 27 18:06:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 12:39 -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just noticed a mismatch in multisync: F8's 0.91.0-3 removes an
> unneeded build dependency, but F9's 0.91.0-3 is just a rebuild against
> a newer version of libopensync (and never appeared in Rawhide, for
> some reason).
Had the package maintainer used a %{dist} tag suffix, this clash would
not have occured ;)

> Do we have a guideline for how to bump revision numbers for rebuilds?
There is no guideline for rebuilds, because the concept of "rebuilds"
isn't covered by Fedora's workflow.

Handling NEVRs on them is left to the discretion of each individual
packager.

> It would seem to me that standardizing on adding a 'build number' to
> the release number works better:
>
> i.e.
> 3%{?dist} -> 3%{?dist}.1, 3%{?dist}.2, etc.
Are your referring to a "devel" rebuild or a F-8 rebuild?

Using a numerical suffix is common practice to avoid NEVR clashes
between release branches, when building packages on released branches
only.

For "devel" any such suffixes are superflous. Simply increment
%{release}, instead.

Ralf