bodhi 0.4.10 features

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 28 14:53:41 UTC 2008

[...]

> [...]

>>> Yep.  I just came up with a catchy slogan for this: "the rule of
>>> ones" (OK, maybe not so catchy :) ).  ONE bug == ONE problem in
>>> ONE release (F7, F8, and rawhide).  It's even got a big red box in
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JohnPoelstra/BugLifeCycle :)

>> I strongly disagree. It just increases the number of bugs and has
>> almost no benefit.

DM> +1. One bug for one issue (even if it exists in more than one
DM> release) is quite sufficient. And helps to keep the buglist
DM> short.

DM> OTOH, if you want us (the package maintainers) to follow the rule
DM> of ones, please provide easy tools to do that. For example: one
DM> click "clone for release X" button and the ability to sort the
DM> bugs on bugzilla frontpage by Fedora release.

DM> I'm sure there are more ways to make this easier. Otherwise I
DM> strongly object to this unannounced change in bodhi behaviour.

I also agree.  It seems like overkill and increases the bug load
unless there are tools as suggested above.  Sometimes a bug is
reported in F-7 but fixed in F-8 and there is nobody who can
investigate whether the F-8 fix works in F-7.  Is it really necessary
to create a new bug just for that purpose?  It's seems better to move
the bug to F-8, and push a new update for both branches.  If it
doesn't fix things in the F-7 branch somebody will re-open the bug.
No big deal.

Alex