InstantMirror needs a rethink

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:22:53 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:

>> What's the alternative?  I normally prefer NFS installs from a nearby
>> downloaded-but-not-burned image.  But I might change my mind if there
>> were a way to pre-load a cache for an http install.
>
> pxe, boot grub with downloaded kernel+initrd.  But I'm not quite
> getting what you mean by nearby but not burned image, that implies
> you're doing NFS+ISO install (IE the isos in an nfs directory), and you
> still have to boot a machine to start the installer.

Yes, I've always found it easiest to download new install isos into an
existing NFS-exported directory and burn only the boot.iso to start the
install.  PXE would be possible in my location but inconvenient in some
of our other offices where someone else controls the DHCP setup and it
would be awkward to set up an alternate lan.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com