Nokia wants to buy Trolltech

Benjamin Kreuter ben.kreuter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 20:14:13 UTC 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008 14:16:11 Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> Not to knock Gnome or GTK+, but QT is a more robust framework.  QT in
> C++ is easier to program than GTK+ in C.  QT has alot of constructs in
> it for data containers and multithreading, which if I understand
> correctly, are better than GTK+ on a technical standpoint.

That much is true.  The signals/slots mechanism is thread safe, and there is a
mutex mechanism that is pretty easy to use.  Also, Qt4 has STL support, so
you can use standard containers and algorithms in an application (other
toolkits will probably do this soon also; I know wxWidgets is moving in that
direction).

> From a
> desktop perspective, things like application resizing and other
> graphical aspects 'perform better' than GTK+ programs.  I'm sure
> Benjamin Kreuter is going to argue the flexibility of KParts as well.

I've been trying to stay as far away from that topic as possible, in the hopes
of avoiding a massive flamewar, but yes, KParts is one of the better OLE
systems out there.  However, KParts is not a Trolltech product, it is just
related to it because the people who wrote KParts were using Qt.  Nokia
probably won't be buying the KDE project.

-- Benjamin Kreuter