Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Mon Jan 28 22:57:44 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

> It sounds fairly horrible to me to have every single application you
> might run that could share something set up its own file sharing
> service
> and client

As usual, I my idea didn't come out that well in words.
My plan is as follows :

1)
Configure yum to keep downloaded rpms.
Put a file in /etc/httpd/conf.d to share the contents of /var/cache/
yum/updates-released/packages.
2)
Publish a service via mdns-avahi-Bonjour that would allow yum to
discover packages stored on nearby machines.
3)
Write a yum plugin that looks for those published services and
consumes them instead of from an Internet source.
An occasional "yum clean all" ( monthly cron ? ) would clear out cruft.

Instead of configuring and maintaining a server to store update rpms,
any node that has installed an update can share it with another node.

Charles Dostale