Debian style net-install ISOs (from FudCON Raleigh)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:01:02 UTC 2008

chasd wrote:

>>> Reasonable proxy behavior would mostly fix that.
>>

> So the _default_ squid settings are almost worthless for caching RPMs
> either for updates or installs. That is not to say that squid could not
> have a configuration optimized for caching RPMs. However, for many
> people it is much easier to install InstantMirror or something like it
> than learn the ins and outs of squid configuration and tweak those
> settings. You will get better performance easier with an actual local
> mirror.

Changing squid defaults would help with any large repeated downloads.
What does InstantMirror do for you if you use some other distro/versions.

> Admins in larger organizations are more likely to spend the effort to
> set up a mirror on their local network, or even twiddle with cache
> settings if that is the solution best for them. Anything that can be
> done to encourage less experienced or less clueful admins to set up
> local mirrors is a Good Thing. At the very least it improves the update
> / install experience and reduces stress on internet mirrors. I can't
> think of any negatives to local mirrors off the top of my head.

Admins in larger (even small) organizations aren't likely to be
particularly married to fedora or anything that needs extra per
distro/per version work.  If you want stuff to be cached locally, make
it work right with a generic setup that will help with all large
repeated downloads and document what that setup should be - or make a
squid config package to make it even easier.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com