Debian style net-install ISOs (from FudCON Raleigh)

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Wed Jan 30 20:41:12 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell  wrote:

> What does InstantMirror do for you if you use some other distro/
> versions.

As long as the package manager and upstream server use HTTP, you
simply create anther InstantMirror virtual host for other distros. It
isn't distro-specific, even though the packaging may be.

> Admins in larger (even small) organizations aren't likely to be
> particularly married to fedora or anything that needs extra per
> distro/per version work.

Yep, and installing InstantMirror or something like it takes very
little of that extra effort.

> If you want stuff to be cached locally, make
> it work right with a generic setup that will help with all large
> repeated downloads and document what that setup should be - or make a
> squid config package to make it even easier.

If you think that is a better course of action, get a sample config
file included in /usr/share/doc/squid-XXXX/
I personally have no interest in that approach.
Different people in different environments will like different
solutions to the same problem.

The more locally cached packages, whatever the mechanism, the better.

Charles Dostale