f8 gripe #3: infamous Load_Cycle_Count started hitting my laptop, FAQ?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Jan 2 02:56:40 UTC 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 18:51 -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> Quite simply, what is the prescribed way for me to run 'hdparm -B 254
>> /dev/sda' upon resume from suspend and hibernate?  (or a better
>> solution
>> than that).
>
> Well, the standard solution is a pm-utils resume script, but why do you
> need to run hdparm manually?

Ok, thanks.  rpm -ql pm-utils is informative enough and I should have
gotten there without help.  I just saw /etc/pm/ and no obvious
documentation.

But the basic issue may still be relevant, which is that I don't really
know why I need to run hdparm manually.  And back when I read all the
ubuntu stuff relating to the issue, I ignored it after happily noticing
my F7 wasn't affected (smartctl -i -a /dev/sda | grep -i cycle).

Now that I hit it with F8, I notice it is so annoying that a single
'hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda' in rc.local isn't sufficient, because when I
resume from hibernate/suspend, it starts incrementing relatively rapidly
again.

Basically I'm hoping to get some authoritative solution, but frankly I
don't mind at all just disabling power saving on the drive at all (for
the near future).

Maybe it's an issue of tweaking the drive to retain pm settings over
powercycle, but thats something I've never had to do or think about
before, and don't really want to start now.  Unless someone says that is
the obvious best answer.

I just don't want to think about.  Someone please tell me how to just
make it stop killing my drive, or why I'm misinterpreting something.

(sony vaio vgn-n250e)

-dmc