Policy proposal for compatibility packages

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jan 2 19:15:48 UTC 2008

Le mercredi 02 janvier 2008 à 10:56 -0600, Josh Boyer a écrit :
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:21:49 -0500
> Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > Here's a proposal for the handling of new compat packages:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple/DraftCompatPackages
> >
> > FESCo discussed this back at our last meeting, but before we pulled the
> > trigger on this, I want to get feedback from the mailing list.  I'm
> > tentatively planning on having FESCo vote on this at the 2008-01-10
> > meeting, though that could change based on any feedback I receive.
>
> Should there be, or is there, a time limit on the life of compat
> packages?

There certainly should be an upper time limit after which the maintainer
justifies why Fedora should still carry compatibility cruft. Sometimes
packages (or other compatibility workarounds) get pushed release after
release just because it's easier to keep them than to re-check if they
can be killed at last.

--
Nicolas Mailhot