Policy proposal for compatibility packages

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jan 2 21:55:24 UTC 2008

Le mercredi 02 janvier 2008 à 15:11 -0500, Brian Pepple a écrit :
> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 14:28 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> >
> > I'd originally suggested that the existence of compat-* packages should
> > be rationalized by the maintainer as part of each release cycle.
> >
> > Valid rationale could be (but is certainly not limited to):
> >
> > - Fedora applications which are not yet ported to the new interface
> > - Third party applications which still depend on the old interface (that
> > the maintainer is aware of specifically, not "something might use it
> > someday")
>
> Yeah, I was going to add this to the proposal, but held off since I was
> a little afraid of the added bureaucracy/madness it would bring.  What's
> others people thoughts on this?

It's going to be a bureaucratic PITA but otherwise the path of least
resistance for maintainers will be to push the same compat libs forever
(and then upstreams will never move to new APIs because compat packages
are always there)

Would something like auto-generating a table of compat packages in the
wiki around the second test release, with one column for justification,
and then kill every package its packager didn't bother justifying before
release time be acceptable?

--
Nicolas Mailhot