f8 gripe#2: why did f8's pm-hibernate regress?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Jan 3 22:57:27 UTC 2008

nodata wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.01.2008, 13:23 -0500 schrieb Jesse Keating:
>> On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 18:45:16 +0100
>> nodata <lsof at nodata.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know why people keep saying this. Vista boots fast and is
>>> responsive.

lol.

>> Not on my brand new shiny Dell M1330.  2 gigs of ram, a fast core2duo
>> cpu, and Vista was very slow to boot up (win2k speeds...) and once
>> booted and I logged in it was another long wait for everything to
>> settle down.  Even then it was pretty unresponsive.
>
> Mine boots in about 45 seconds, and then I launch putty and get on with
> some work. Are you running something heavyweight?

To be completely fair to microsoft, I'll admit that my issues may also
be heavily influenced by sony's participation in the spin of vista that
came with my laptop.

Also, my point was more about *first impressions* the user has with an
OS.  I imagine that once vista has had a day to churn on my laptop after
fresh install/factory-recover, that it will boot much faster, and be
more responsive more quickly.

But when a new user buys a laptop like mine, turns it on for the first
time, and logs in the first time, it quite seriously has HOURS of high
IO churn that it needs to get through.  As a result, a users first
experience with the OS, is at its worst.  Not a great design tradeoff
choice IMO.

Which really makes no sense, as a factory recover shouldn't need to
precompute anything or build any initial databases that are going to be
exactly the same on every other piece of identical hardware.  But yet,
that seems to be what is happening...

-dmc