KDE-SIG weekly report (01/2008)

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Fri Jan 4 18:51:39 UTC 2008

On Friday, January 04, 2008 6:25 Rex Dieter wrote:
> Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 03, 2008 12:34 pm Sebastian Vahl wrote:
> >> - KDE-4.0.0 would propably be shipped without composite support
> >> enabled by default (which "fixes" the problem with intel graphics)
> >
> > Where can I find more info about this problem?  Is it really an
> > intel driver problem or something else?
>
> This blog prompted our sig discussion:
> http://rivolaks.blogspot.com/2008/01/new-year-kwin-and-other-stuff.ht
>ml

That looks like a general discussion of whether it should be off by
default or not (sounds like it should be).  AFAIK the only problem with
Intel & compositing is that it's not well supported if you're using XAA
(Xv and other features won't work).  Unfortunately, we have some EXA
performance problems, so in some configurations the alternative isn't
very palatable either (though this should be fixed soon).

Jesse