Is anyone packaging sage?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jan 5 10:29:05 UTC 2008

Neal Becker <ndbecker2 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/sage/

This looks interesting, and indeed it would be nice to have this in Fedora. I
don't know of any existing efforts to package it.

One problem will be that they're bundling many third-party components which
should be packaged separately:
http://sage.math.washington.edu/sage/doc/html/inst/intro.html

So the first step is to track down which of these dependencies are in Fedora
already, whether they need any patches to work with SAGE, whether they are
build-time (BuildRequires) dependencies, run-time (Requires) dependencies or
both, whether they're required or optional and package those which are not in
Fedora yet.

I'd do things in the following order:
1. package required build-time dependencies
2. package required run-time dependencies
3. package as many optional build-time dependencies as possible
4. package SAGE itself
5. package optional run-time dependencies (and decide on a case by case basis
whether it makes sense to add them as actual Requires: dependencies to the
package or not)

Please tell us of your progress and link to any review requests as you submit
them. If you need help with the dependencies, please tell us that too.

I think we could really use a Mathematics SIG. Count me as interested (I'm a
PhD student in Mathematics). I think Rex Dieter is likely to be interested too
as he's working as a sysadmin for the Department of Mathematics at UNL. (Of
course we're both already very busy with KDE SIG matters though. ;-) ) And as
the interest in this thread is showing, there's probably more potentially
interested folks. :-)

        Kevin Kofler