Init : someone could comment this ?

Casey Dahlin cjdahlin at ncsu.edu
Sun Jan 6 03:26:17 UTC 2008

Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 06/01/2008, Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin at ncsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> There is work being done in this area for Fedora as well. I've been
>> working on a parallel booting system for us that also will provide dbus
>> notifications for the starting of various services. (Hopefully I'll be
>> leading a hackfest at FUDCon in a few days to get a few more eyes and
>> hands on the code).
>>

> Other than compatability with sysvinit scripts, why was upstart dismissed?

Many options were looked at during the last iteration of this
discussion, and by my understanding prcsys was the one that won out. See
here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FCNewInit/RC?highlight=%28fcnewinit%29
There's a few issues with prcsys internally that make it very difficult
to add the features we want (dbus etc), as well as some not-so-trivial
implementation issues (use of pthreads in a circumstance under which
they were a very poor choice), so Harald Hoyer and myself decided that a
rewrite was in order, so I went ahead and started working on a new app
(which I have titled 'rrn') which is now near feature parity with
prcsys. My academic schedule has meant I haven't had enough of it done
to be worth showing to anyone until very recently, so I've not been
talking too much about it here, but now that its starting to come
together, I'd love to start the discussion up again (and of course you
can all tell me I'm crazy and to take my little program and go home :).

--CJD