Another selinux rant

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 05:09:20 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 01:36 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>>> Well, honorable goal, but does it actually achieve this goal?
>>>
>>> * On one machine (FC8/x86_64), for me, all setroubleshoot does is to die
>>> shortly after bootup and first-time login (I haven't tried to
>>> investigate, but as it seems to me some serelated daemon is
>>> segfaulting).
>> You don't possibly think that this is the regular behaviour of
>> setroubleshoot on which you cna judge it?
> No, I am pretty certain it's an setroubleshoot and/or its infrastructure
> bug.
>
>>> * Is it appropriate to inform arbitrary ordinary users about SELinux
>>> issues? May-be this on single user/non-networked machines, but I don't
>>> think this is the right concept for a networked environment in which
>>> "ordinary user" normally isn't the system admin.
>> I'm not sure i understand the criticism here.
> The question behind this: To whom are SELinux messages/is setroubleshoot
> of interest and who is able to react upon them?
>
> In production systems, it's the system admin and nobody else.
>
> For example, think about an "ordinary (SMB) office" situation.
> Most of such a system's users will not administrate their machines by
> themselves, many of these users will be computer illiterates.
> All setroubleshoot offers to them is "clutter" to their desktop for
> issues which are "none of their business".

Naturally... which is the reason those users should not have setroubleshoot
available to them... the name itself should make this obvious.  Its a tool made
for the development phase of a technology, not for a production system in a
typical office environment.

> In a "Linux-geek at home"/"personal desktop" scenario, the situation is
> different. IMO, this is the scenario Fedora's current setroubleshoot is
> appropriate for.

Yes, I've personally found it very helpful in testing rawhide in this scenario.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>