Init : someone could comment this ?

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 15:44:58 UTC 2008

On Jan 6, 2008 5:36 AM, Enrico Scholz
<enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> An initsystem which requires depbloat like python or perl is completely
> unacceptably.

Bash is not depbloat, but bash + awk + grep + any other userspace
tools shows alot of dep bloat.  Since python is installed on most
machines, and almost always putting at least some code in shared
memory space, asking for Python in particular is not unreasonable.  If
Casey had mentioned Common Lisp, I would argue the same thing.

Since depbloat should be a non-issue in this case, I think we really
need to measure how many kbytes are read on startup, and how long it
takes vs how long running python would take and how many kbytes that
brings in.  Of course a hybrid system would take twice as long, so
it's a rather time consuming experiment just to shave a few seconds.

-Yaakov