Init : someone could comment this ?

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 17:25:55 UTC 2008

On 06/01/2008, Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> > On 06/01/2008, Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> There is work being done in this area for Fedora as well. I've been
> >> working on a parallel booting system for us that also will provide dbus
> >> notifications for the starting of various services. (Hopefully I'll be
> >> leading a hackfest at FUDCon in a few days to get a few more eyes and
> >> hands on the code).
> >>

> > Other than compatability with sysvinit scripts, why was upstart dismissed?
> >

> Many options were looked at during the last iteration of this
> discussion, and by my understanding prcsys was the one that won out. See
> here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FCNewInit/RC?highlight=%28fcnewinit%29

That's a shame, because the roadmap for upstart includes better
sysvinit compatibility, dbus support for IPC, service mangement et.
See:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/upstart-devel/2007-October/000468.html

It seems to me that many of the reasons for dismissing upstart in
favour of a write-from-scratch have since disappeared.

J.