Init : someone could comment this ?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Sun Jan 6 19:31:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 17:48 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 10:44 -0500, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> >  and almost always putting at least some code in shared
> > memory space, asking for Python in particular is not unreasonable.
> I could not disagree more - To me any init-script system requiring
> anything outside of what POSIX requires is a mis-conception and flawed
> design.

How is that? I guess if we looked hard enough then we'd find that even
today we use things outside of POSIX to get the machine going, things
which we can't do without.

Just because something is an established standard, it's not necessarily
sufficient: One of the problems we have with SysV style init scripts are
the numerous forks and execs which are costly. I don't see how we could
solve that problem while using shell (or other tools included in POSIX).
Granted, we could source the init scripts from one master script to
avoid that, but then we'd be quicker in a cesspool of clashing global
variables or one badly written script killing the whole boot process
than we'd want to imagine. If I'm just being unimaginative, I'd be
interested in how this problem can be solved while limiting oneself to
what POSIX offers.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759