[OT] Re: f8 gripe#2: why did f8's pm-hibernate regress?

Tomasz Torcz tomek at crocom.com.pl
Mon Jan 7 13:19:13 UTC 2008

Dnia 04-01-2008, pią o godzinie 22:32 +0100, David Nielsen pisze:
> tor, 03 01 2008 kl. 18:45 +0100, skrev nodata:
> > I don't know why people keep saying this. Vista boots fast and is
> > responsive.
>
> Wow.. can I have a puff at that crack pipe my good man? :)

Sorry for offtopic. Vista needs few days (weeks?) of use to prime its
readahead/preload¹ caches. It's slow just after install, but gets better
with time. One have to give this OS time for all its tricks to show.

BTW, I'm not advocating for Vista. Just be serious and don't treat Vista
with prejudice. Fedora is doing readahead also, but in less
sophisticated way. http://preload.sf.net seems to be dead and broken by
prelink. Why not learn how others are doing similar things?

¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_I/O_technologies#SuperFetch

--
Tomasz Torcz
Crocom Computer Systems