Init : someone could comment this ?

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 06:50:59 UTC 2008

 I've been trying to stay out of this flamewa^W thread, but...

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 11:42 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 10:44 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> > But python or other bloaty scripting languages are not a solution and
> > completely unacceptable at this place.
>
> "Bloaty" is something that could be solved, don't you think? If python
> was split up in a base package that contained the directory structure,
> the binaries, the (small) documentation and only basic modules (with no
> additional requirements) and a package containing the rest of the
> modules, much of the (dep-)bloat wouldn't be an issue if init scripts
> (ehh modules) would be limited to that basic set. With the set of
> modules I would choose, such a python-base package would have less
> dependencies than bash and only account for roughly 2.6MB on the disk as
> well -- bash takes up about 5.1MB.

 From a Fed-9 python build:

% rpm --qf '%{name} %{size}\n' -q python python-libs python-docs \
                                  python-test python-devel python-tools
python 17070643
python-libs 1505949
python-docs 17804516
python-test 11902909
python-devel 3124644
python-tools 2793600

...all of which come from the python tarball, and only the top two of
which you actually need to run scripts[1].
 I looked at getting python itself down a bit more, but it would be a
lot of work getting the deps. correct for "python-minimal" (or whatever)
and even worse is that a lot of things that you'd think of as "non-core"
are required by core applications like yum or setroubleshoot.

[1] tkinter removed to protect any innocents who may be reading this :).

--
James Antill -- <james.antill at redhat.com>
"Please, no.  Let's not pull in a dependency for something as simple as a