Init : someone could comment this ?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jan 9 08:54:30 UTC 2008

Le Mar 8 janvier 2008 23:45, Ian Burrell a écrit :

> I think it is important that we preserve the ability to use sysv-style
> init scripts.  They are part of LSB.

Sort-of. The LSB description is ambiguous, as evidenced by the many
questions posted when we decided to migrate our existing pre-LSB
scripts to the LSB variant. And I'm far from sure that other
distributions answered those questions the same way.

> It would be lots of work to
> convert everything to any new way.

It would be lots of work to shoehorn sysV init design in something
radically different. SysV has no notion of hotplugging which must be a
core design consideration of any semi-decent init system replacement.

> They are installed by third-party packages.

Because other distros have a "let's keep compat with RHEL init since
ISVs target RHEL", but if Fedora/RHEL moves to something else keeping
compat will mean supporting this something else. Don't mistake this
for any particular attachment so sysV init scripts (quite the
contrary)

--
Nicolas Mailhot