Fedora too cutting edge?

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Wed Jan 9 20:46:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Notice how a preliminary fix is expected for 2.6.25, which probably means
> that this will still be broken in Fedora 9, notice that the breakage was
> introduced in Fedora 7, so thats 18 months worth of broken firewire camera
> support (iow most digital video cameras).

  That seems like a bold, and IMO, unsubstantiated claim.  I managed to get
a Firewire camera to work using the new stack a couple weeks ago.  I had a
bit of trouble, which lead me to discussions that came to the same general
conclusion that you outlined in your email, but then I tried chown'ing the
/dev/fw-* (or whatever) devices to my user, and things miraculously
worked.
  This was on kernel-2.6.23.1-49.fc8; I hadn't gotten around to rebooting
that box in a while (nor have I tried the camera since rebooting to
2.6.23.9-85.fc8).
  I won't deny, however, getting burned a time or three by Fedora's
early-adopter practices. :-)

      Jima