Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jan 9 22:12:57 UTC 2008

On 09.01.2008 23:00, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> John Dennis wrote:
>> A good distribution works.
+1

But Juju afaics didn't work well for to many people when we shipped it
for the first time, thus choice here IMHO is a temporary solution.

> This is where I think the intensity of this thread is somewhat
> confusing.  I wholeheartedly agree that what you ship in one particular
> spin/strain of fedora should most often minimize choices for the user
> (unless the target users of the spin/strain explicitly want the choices).

+1

> That is what is great about distro spin tools such as
> livecd-tools/revisor/VirOS- they make it easy for anyone who doesn't
> like the official fedora imposed choice, to as easily as possible, put
> together a 'fork' distro utilizing the alternate choice.

You might want to look at a idea that came up on the list now and then
by different people that Jesse added to the wiki:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/KojiPersonalRepos

I like the idea, but the amount of work that might create is likely a lot.

> [...]

Cu
knurd