Init : someone could comment this ?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 00:26:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 00:07 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin at ncsu.edu> writes:
>
> >> no; as already written, modern initsystems use non-forking daemons
> >> where such checks are not needed anymore.
> >>

> > It is up to the designer of the app whether it forks or not, and while
> > there may be an argument that one way is better or worse, the init
> > maintainers cannot guarantee the behavior of that which their system
> > must start.
>
> 1. most (yes, I have numbers) daemons have some kind of --do-not-fork
>    switch

Some (many?) of these log to stdout/stderr if these switches are used as
it's assumed you want to debug the program.

> 2. most (sorry, I do not have numbers there) daemons have some kind of
>    bugzilla where you can report patches and enhancements

I don't think many of these would subscribe to your notion that doing
"prepare -> fork() -> detach" would be erroneous. Good luck, though ;-).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759