Fedora too cutting edge?

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at hi.is
Thu Jan 10 00:35:52 UTC 2008

> Hi All,
>
> One of the few reasons why Fedora is my distro of choice is because its
> usually
> cutting edge, and I like to be where the development is happening.

+1 Likewize.. :>

> However today I've had an encounter with Fedora which make me wonder if
> sometimes we aren't a little too cutting edge.

I on the other hand think we should be more Cutting edge..
Follow upstream all the way to test3.
Release gold with upstream at test3!

Some might say it's to little time for proper testing..
Others might say true but then again our target audience is ?,
Certainly not regular Joe because then we would be where Ubuntu is now..

Then it's the issue to get everything to latest upstream and
get the ball rolling from there..

> Does this mean that Fedora should not have shipped the new stack? No it
> doesn't! Getting code out there early into many hands for testing is a
> good thing.

+1

> What IMHO we should have done is build both the new and the oldstack,
> which is
> possible on the kernel side, and modify our patches to userspace to
> support the
> juju stack, so that the userspace libs can work with either one. On top of
> this
> we should then have written a small gui utility for easy switching.
>
> ---
I'ts all about giving user a choose ;)..
+ if things aren't working properly they could fallback on something
that does..

> Another example of Fedora being to cutting edge is pulseaudio, for prove
> click
> this URL:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?product=Fedora&version=&component=pulseaudio&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=MODIFIED&bug_status=ON_DEV&bug_status=FAILS_QA&bug_status=POST&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=
>
> Again I think its good to be shipping this, and even that its good having
> it on
> by default, but we should also provide a small gui utility for easily
> turning
> ir off.

I have had no problem with Pulseaudio, rather apps that dont support
Pulseaudio or have it enabled by default, but since the choice is out
there I just use the ones that do..

> Regards,
>
> Hans

Best regards.