Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 01:50:29 UTC 2008

Christopher Brown wrote:
> On 10/01/2008, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
>>> Oh nice. Now you're playing the "RH vs. community" card. Priceless. News
>>> flash: this is _not_ about RH vs. the community. It's about realizing
>>> that software development is _hard_. It's about realizing that throwing
>> It is not exactly "RH vs. community". I just want to make sure that
>> things like xdm, initng, fluxbox, compat packages, xpdf or a non linux
>> kernel (all are things that are duplicates of other packages) are still
>> welcomed in fedora. After all it is not necessarily an issue if not, but
>> this should be stated explicitely.
>>
>> My personal understanding of fedora was that a package was accepted as
>> long as it was free software, usable in fedora, and decently integrated.
>> Isn't it still the case?
>
> Of course but at some point, particularly with something such as
> separate subsystem stacks in the kernel, someone has to make a
> technical choice. In this instance JuJu was enabled in 7+ with the
> intention to work with the maintainers to resolve issues as they
> arose. Firewire in Linux is a mess but it is improving, thanks largely
> to the JuJu team and if I may say, the inclusion of said stack in
> Fedora. One of the maintainers is extremely active on the Fedora
> bugzilla.

I think here (Christopher says it well) is the most salient point on 'is it
welcome or not'... the problem that started the thread (JuJu new vs old stack)
was simply the primary maintainer choosing to go with new, and if anyone (other
than that maintainer who chose not to) had provided the appropriate
compatibility/switching/coexistence patches to have both available I am pretty
certain that it could have and would have been done.  I mean look at the history
  and how long the simple mta switcher app survives because someone provided it
when other options than sendmail were available.

So Patrice I think the answer is and always will be 'its welcome' but the issue
is who will do it.  When that choice (or any other hard choice of innovation vs
current working compatibility) is made it is up to those who need current
compatibility to help keep it available.  As others have said in the thread to
plan on the primary maintainers handling it in a 'keep everything forever'
fashion is guaranteed to be madness and a big failure.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>