IIDC camera's and the juju firewirestack

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Fri Jan 11 20:22:45 UTC 2008

Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> In the thread I started about Fedora perhaps being to cutting edge, it
>>> was said that I shouldn't complain as there is only one problem left
>>> with the juju stack which is a bug with via vt6306 cards in OHCI 1.0 cards.
>> Oh, there's definitely more than one problem left... :)
>
>>> Further analysis of the problem has learned that this is not true, I'm
>>> using a via vt6306 card in OHCI 1.1 mode, which allegedly should work fine.
>> The particular bug is actually related to vt6306 and vt6307 cards in OHCI 1.0
>> mode doing dv capture. iidc is much less tested. I already know where at least
>> a few of the iidc-related OHCI 1.0 bugs are, but they shouldn't be impacting
>> you... I've also got an idea or two on what's up with dv capture, just need to
>> get the spare cycles to test (which could happen shortly, just finished a
>> major piece of lirc...)
>
>>> However most documents talk about using the juju stack with either
>>> harddisks or DV for homevideo camera's. However I'm trying to use an
>>> industrial cam which used the IIDC protocol, and support in the new juju
>>> stack (kernel + userspace) for the IIDC protocol isn't very good.
>> I believe David Moore's patch in linux1394-2.6.git[*] should help, and it
>> looks like that also needs to be ported over to the OHCI 1.0 code paths...
>
> Nope, looks like he's already done that too. As I said in another thread, I'm
> going to try to start tracking the linux1394 git tree in rawhide, and
> selectively pull back patches into released kernels. David's done a lot of
> excellent work of late while I was busy not paying attention, due to the
> holidays and other misc stuff (lirc, ia64 xen, ecryptfs, ext4...)

After a bit of positive testing, I committed a linux1394 git patch plus
David's dynamic buffer alloc patch, which is about to be in linux1394 git, to
the rawhide kernel. We've now got working iidc streaming on all OHCI 1.0 and
1.1 cards, so far as I know. I'll see about back-porting these bits to the F7
and F8 kernels as well.

Would definitely like to hear what *doesn't* work now, short of dv capture
with Via VT630x OHCI 1.0 cards, which is known broken and under investigation.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com