Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 21:06:58 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2008 2:30 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It doesn't seem as sensible as being able to plug into a known
>> controller position and get a known device name, particularly in the
>> scenario where the drives aren't hot-plug and you want to access a bunch
>> of new ones after a reboot and know which is which.
>
> Frankly i like this idea, but I'm unsure of the practicality of it:
>
> What is the highest level which is even aware of the physical location
> of said device? I would imagine the BIOS knows, and maybe some really
> low level kernel modules but anything above that?

udev is fully aware of the physical location, because it knows the communication
bus addressing to the device itself (/dev/disk/by-path).  What Les is asking for
is a consistent guaranteed device node naming scheme, which makes good sense for
machines with few devices (desktops, small servers) and less sense for larger
systems.  The facts are the older scheme wasn't guaranteed to be deterministic,
it just seemed to be because the kernel would probe / name the devices in
sequential order, and its no longer guaranteed to do that (that still doesn't
mean anything is named randomly).

I suppose someone could have additional udev rules that would follow the older
naming scheme at the same time as the new one... just doing the 'magic
guesswork' to make sure things always got named in the predictable ordering.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>