Pulse Audio 0.9.8 - upgrade?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Sat Jan 12 16:14:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 01:06 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> So, looking on 0.9.7-pre, on 0.9.7-final and 0.9.8, I decided that the
> changes are not really suited for an updated package for an already
> released distribution, since they are almost exclusively new features,
> and only very few relevant bugfixes.
>
> I guess this is the classical distribution dilemma: are the new
> features or the stability more important? Whatever way I decide, I'll
> make some people unhappy.

There are a couple of replies, but I thought I'd add that feature-set in
the released version in F8 of PA is far from the advertised. There's
little to no support for tunneling, realtime updating of remote virtual
devices via avahi doesn't exist, etc.

So in the end, what the F8 users are getting are a couple of features
(per application volume control) at the cost of stability and headaches
getting unsupported audio apps to work.

Personally, I think the decision to include PA was the correct one, but
at the very least, give the users more features to make up for the
headaches. Otherwise, we may as well have waited for F9 instead of using
users as bug-finders.
--

Richi Plana