compilation architecture

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 23:51:06 UTC 2008

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> Don't be silly. Try some > i386 distro, and look at the difference.
> About Firefox, I wasn't using Firefox 3 from RPM, but Trunk snapshot from
> Mozilla's FTP.

I've spent *considerable time* keeping fully optimized i686 mtune p4 -O3
compiled gentoo installed on a machine I also had Fedora rawhide with *my own
compiled and optimized i686 kernel and glibc*... the differences are minor at
best.  I guarantee a i586 compiled SUSE install is not faster than that gentoo
build.

If you're really seeing that large a performance difference you need to be
considering legitimate sources of 'startup' time, such as already mentioned in
the thread... disk IO.  How SUSE is choosing to link the libraries might be the
place to start.  Are they prelinking?  How.  Did they maybe statically link
certain apps (like firefox that is used more than anything else)?

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>