Preloading [WAS: Re: SuSE Project SUPER]

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Mon Jan 14 15:05:43 UTC 2008

søn, 13 01 2008 kl. 21:44 -0900, skrev Jeff Spaleta:
> On Jan 13, 2008 5:47 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Well, I looked into the readahead util for boot time, and it seemed to
> > hurt more than help.  But ongoing preload that learns & adjusts to usage
> > patterns could help I'm sure, if done right
>
> That wont help the critical first impression phase.. before
> application usage patterns are established and people are feeling out
> the release.  And to be more blunt about it.. it won't help first
> impression from the reviewers who run a distro just long enough to
> figure what they like and don't like about it and want to get their
> review in within the first week of a release.
> How many people end up relying on the first impression of others to
> form their own impressions?  Adaptive methods that only help boot
> speeds after multiple reboots with extended usage pattern trending
> isn't really going to impact the impression people have one damn bit.
>
> And it wont help livecds where state information is lost between reboots.

Would it be possible to pre-seed such an adaptive scheme.. we know what
we call on boot on a out of the box F9 final. Then as usage changes,
updates are issued and such the adaptive stuff would be able to keep the
preload system in as close to an optimal state?

That would seem to be the best of both worlds to me, but then again I'm
a self-admitted bumbling fool so what do I know.

- David