Start/stop of OpenVPN interfaces with ifup/ifdown

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Mon Jan 14 20:40:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 08:33:33PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 00:38 +0100, Jos Vos wrote:
> > -  Is there a technical reason to not handle OpenVPN connections this
> >    way in Fedora or is it just that it was decided to stay more close
> >    to the generic OpenVPN startup script?

A combination of trying to stay close to upstream and lack of time,
honestly.

> > -  Does anyone know of recent work in this area?  I guess the example
> >    scripts in the thread I listed above might not work as-is with the
> >    current Fedora and OpenVPN versions.
> >
> > -  Is there any interest in including (and maintaining) this in Fedora's
> >    OpenVPN package, maybe just as an alternative startup method,
> >    assuming someone wants to contribute the initial implementation?

I'd be happy to include better initscript integration in the Fedora
package.  I just haven't had the time (or sufficient motivation) to
write the code myself.

> Please do. I believe it should have been a condition of the initial
> review of the package. We're supposed to be making a coherent
> distribution, not just packaging up a bunch of software and chucking it
> together on a DVD.

It was brought up at the time, but everyone was saying NetworkManager
was going to take over the world, so making ifup/ifdown work didn't
seem like a terribly high priority.  NetworkManager-openvpn has been
around for a while...

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/