Should vim-X11 conflict with vim-enhanced ?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 15:10:31 UTC 2008

Karsten Hopp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Till proposed in bugzilla #311061 to use alternatives in vim-enhanced
> and vim-X11 so that
> both of them can provide /usr/bin/vim. His reasoning as that when gvim
> gets started as vim
>  (via a symlink) it opens the text mode vim with the additional benefit
> of xterm clipboard support.

How does this differ from using gvim -v?

> I agree with the /usr/bin/vim stuff, but I think a better solution would
> be to add a conflict between
> vim-X11 and vim-enhanced. vim-enhanced is only of use on systems without
> X11/gtk. On all other
> systems vim-X11 can provide the same (and more) functionality as
> vim-enhanced.

alternatives is not a good solution for end-user apps on a multi-user
system because the admin is setting a preference that is really better
left to the user to decide.  The user can set this preference using an
alias (alias vim='gvim -v').

Conflicts precludes the ability to have both versions installed in case
one user of the system wants one thing and a different user wants
another.  Additionally, we are trying to get rid of unnecessary
Conflicts... this seems to qualify as unnecessary for me as there's a
valid method of creating the package at the moment which does not
require Conflicts.

What are you trying to achieve?  Perhaps it would be simpler to get rid
of the vim-enhanced package?  Or perhaps what we have now is the
simplest solution.

-Toshio