Deleting a file/directory on startup

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Tue Jan 15 15:47:58 UTC 2008

On Tue January 15 2008, John Dennis wrote:

> Last week I answered and said a standard technique is the use of pid
> files and explained how it works. Is there some reason that approach
> does not give you exactly what you've asked for? The pid can either be
> in a separate pid file or in the lockfile, or both, just be aware of
> potential race conditions if the pid is in more than one file and do the
> operations in the correct order.

What should happen in case there is process that is running with the pid that
is stored, but it is not the process that stored the pid? Then additional
checking needs to performed which is all code that may cause bugs and is
always a lot more complicated than a simple "rm -rf /.suspended".

Regards,
Till