SELinux removed from desktop cd spin?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 07:19:43 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2008 12:35 PM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is your target audience with SELinux?
>
> Everyone who runs a computer that takes input from an external source,
> whether that be floppies, or a network connection, or a bluetooth
> keyboard.  Security matters... it doesn't matter if you are a desktop
> user or not... security matters.  If we are doing a good enough job at
> policy writing and management then we fix the policies.

Will fedora include virus scanners? If not why?

> You really need to go back and read every single blog post from Dan
> Walsh concerning the new xguest policy he is working on.  He's got
> very clear and very real desktop usage cases in mind for it.  Turning
> selinux off wholesale on a desktop spin just because its not optimal
> yet, is short-sighted.

When it becomes usable for general use, by all means, enable it by
default. There is no real threat to linux desktop users from any source
and there has been zero viruses or explioits that had any significant
impact on any linux desktop. I don't see that changing in next 5 years
so why force desktop users now to have this rough edged products bother
them all the time?

Valent