An interesting read when discussing what to do about our bugs...

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sat Jan 19 22:28:57 UTC 2008

Jon Stanley wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2008 4:17 PM, nodata <lsof at nodata.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Then don't let people report the bugs into the Fedora bugzilla.
>
> That's not particularly an option, either, since there could be distro
> specific or packaging bugs that the 4 maintainers did introduce.

+1

> > In
> this case, I think that the best thing to do is to inform the triage
> community (wouldn't be me for KDE since I don't know anything about
> it) that the maintainers do not accept bugs which could be reported
> upstream, and that the triagers should go ahead and report them
> upstream.  Leads to good results for all people - the users that get
> some sort of a response, and the maintainers who don't have to worry
> about non-packaging bugs.

Yes and no, sometimes bugs cannot be reproduced by anyone other than the
reporter.  What then?

Besides, encouraging users to work with upstream aligns well with fedora's
values, which I consider to be a "good thing"(tm).

-- Rex

p.s. I *like* to see feedback that stuff has been upstreamed, and usually
make sure I'm Cc'd there too, to track progress, etc..