Experiment: an RPM that shows uninstalled apps in main menu

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Mon Jan 21 16:48:24 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Given that this rpm would already be carrying the entire list of
> available software in official repos, their .desktop files, executable
> names, and information about which package contains them...
>
> I wonder if it would be feasible to start developing support for command
> line 'yum install foo' suggestions to users (ala apt on debian/ubuntu
> systems).
>
> For instance, user knows (from a friend or random webpage) that the
> program foo is neat, and tries to start it:
>  > foo
>  > Command not found: foo
>  > This program is available for Fedora but is not currently installed.
>  > To install this program type (as root): yum install FooPackage

That'd be nice to have also, and i think is fairly orthogonal to the
fedora-apps RPM idea. After all this targets terminal users, while the
uninstalled icons target all users, especially those that never use a
terminal app (i.e. those for whom the only way to install additional
software is with the 'Add/Remove Software' menu entry, aka pirut).