F8 to rawhide upgrade - yum python mismatch - repeatable

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 22 13:24:41 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
>> Next I yum update rpm* yum*, which seemed OK.
>> After that yum didn't work anymore.

> Ok that definitely sounds like an issue that needs looked at deeper.
> Upgrading rpm and yum first off should not break yum right away!  Doing
> just yum works fine for an updated machine as I showed, but maybe the
> base versions of rpm and yum for F8 have issues with that update.
OK, made that install work again:
$ rpm -qa yum\* rpm\* python\* sql\*|sort
python-2.5.1-21.fc9
python-iniparse-0.2.3-3.fc9
python-libs-2.5.1-21.fc9
python-numeric-24.2-6.fc8
python-setuptools-0.6c7-2.fc8
python-urlgrabber-3.0.0-3.fc8
rpm-4.4.2.2-13.fc9
rpm-libs-4.4.2.2-13.fc9
rpm-python-4.4.2.2-13.fc9
rpm -qa|sort
sqlite-3.5.4-2.fc9
yum-3.2.8-2.fc8
yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-4.fc9
[davidt at localhost ~]$ yum --help
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_sqlitecache.so: undefined symbol:
g_assertion_message_expr

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jan 17 2008, 11:02:11)
[GCC 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-36)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
   http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 #1 SMP Fri Dec 7 15:49:59
EST 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Is this a "silly" on my part / would a bugzilla be appreciated ?

DaveT