rescue mode has issues

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Jan 22 18:13:48 UTC 2008

I have a dual-boot system running F7 on one VolumeGroup and rawhide on
another, with two separate /boot partitions.  There were a few
problems with this setup:

1. Anaconda labeled /dev/sda3 as /boot even though /dev/sda2 already
has this label.

2. The rescue image doesn't offer to mount the rawhide partition,
which is installed to an encrypted PV.  Perhaps it should offer to
open encrypted volumes so it can search them for Fedora installs to
mount.

3. I did a manual cryptsetup/vgchange/mount for the rawhide install.
I needed to add entries to /etc/grub.conf and run "grub-install" to
put grub on the boot sector of /dev/sda3.  My first attempt was to
chroot to /mnt/sysimage and run grub-install there:

sh-3.2# grub-install /dev/sda3
Could not find device for /boot

4.  I thought the filesystem label was the problem, so I tried to
check the labels:

sh-3.2# e2label /dev/sda2
/boot
sh-3.2# e2label /dev/sda3
e2label: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) while trying to open
/dev/sda3
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

5. Interesting.  So I tried from outside the chroot.  Same results:

sh-3.2# exit
exit
sh-3.2# e2label /dev/sda2
/boot
sh-3.2# e2label /dev/sda3
e2label: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) while trying to open
/dev/sda3
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

6. I thought maybe the filesystem was corrupted, so I tried a manual
fsck:

sh-3.2# umount /mnt/sysimage/boot
sh-3.2# fsck /dev/sda3
fsck 1.40.4 (31-Dec-2007)
WARNING: couldn't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
e2fsck 1.40.4 (31-Dec-2007)
fsck.ext3: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) while trying to open
/dev/sda3

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the
superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an
alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

7.  Weird.  I thought I'd try to do the grub-install from outside the
chroot anyway:

sh-3.2# grub-install /dev/sda3
/sbin/grub: Not found.

8. It appears that grub was moved to /usr/sbin and grub-install wasn't
updated.  Symlinking fixes it:

sh-3.2# ln -s /usr/sbin/grub /sbin/grub
sh-3.2# mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sysimage/boot
sh-3.2# grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/sysimage /dev/sda3
The file /mnt/sysimage/boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly.

Shall I file bugs on all these issues?