selinux breaks revisor

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Tue Jan 22 19:08:45 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 7:52 AM, Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin at ncsu.edu> wrote:
>> We're advertising it in a very public way. More people are expecting it
>> to work.
>
> But we aren't using it internally, we aren't dogfooding it with our
> spins, and I want to make sure Valent and anyone reading the thread
> understands that. My reading of Valent's comment informed me that he
> was assuming we were seeing these problems as part of spin release and
> implied an assumption that we were using revisor. We aren't.
>

> Now that being said, I think any spin generation toolchain which we
> are offering, should be packaged in a way that informs people that
> selinux needs to be disabled to use correctly.
> And since I don't think spin creation falls into a desktop usage case
> of any rational merit, but falls instead into development usage, then
> I don't think such a tool should automatically disable selinux even
> temporarily.
>
> Selinux when interacting with any chroot-like apparatus is still a
> problem.

Except for perhaps *cough* qfakeroot

(disclaimer: the below urls are about 12 hours old, and the tools in
question are still a couple days away from being actually testable from
the tutorial which also is only about 12 hours old)

http://filteredperception.org/smiley/projects/viros/viros-0.5/tools/scripts/qfakeroot.html

http://filteredperception.org/smiley/projects/viros/docs/faq/index.html#viros_differences_from_livecdtools

Note, that one reason I went down this rather convoluted non-traditional
architecture for a compose tool, was to quite explicitly not have any
dependence on host build system state such as selinux (and not require
root priveleges to run is the other related big one)

-dmc

  Perhaps its time to take stock of all the packages that rely