An interesting read when discussing what to do about our bugs...

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Jan 21 07:36:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 20:36 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008 9:23 AM, nodata <lsof at nodata.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'm talking about closing the bug and telling the reporter to report
> > upstream, i.e. "go away".
>

> As a package maintainer, what would you like me to do in situations
> where I need the reporter to talk to upstream?
A reporter should never be supposed to talk upstream, because he is
reporting an issue a problem with the product (your package) you are
supposed to be responsible for, not against the product an upstream
ships to you (the source tarball).

>   Should I just pat you
> on the head and promise to fix it, even though I can't?
What prevents you from simply telling the truth?

>   If I can't
> even reproduce the problem with my hardware, or its a feature request
> that needs to be discussed as part of an upstream development what
> exactly are the better choices than encouraging you to take your case
> to upstream?
Communicate such issues upstream and provide upstream a link to the
original issue, such they can investigate?

Ralf