Replacing the boot kernel in the installer

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:24:32 UTC 2008

I successfully installed F8 at home, but I've been unable to get the
installer to run on my Aspire here at work. It fails due a problem
with the sata_sis driver, which is fixed in the latest F7 kernel
update so I assume the current F8 kernel is fine too. Is it possible
to simply boot from a different kernel (and update the modules in the
initrd, of course) and run the installer? Or, if I need to update the
stage 2 image as well, how do I point at the updated stage 2, and can
I do so while still proceeding to fetch the install packages off the
network?