On preload

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Jan 23 19:31:52 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Ok, I read the preload thread.  Most of the questions asked are answered
here:

  http://behdad.org/preload.pdf

Chapters 6, 7, and 8 is what one needs to read.

Random comments:

  - Yes, slows down boot.  Can be "improved" by making preload less
aggressive.  In fact there are different knobs to allow setting
aggressiveness at boot time and after separately.  All documented in the
config file and the above document.

  - Much of the slow down couldn't be avoided back in the day, but in
the next version I'm using ionice to start preload.  That should improve
things.

  - One major thing that I'm not happy about in preload is that it
doesn't readahead directories, nor does it readahead stat calls.  And
that's where the best bang for the memory is.  Read Chapter 7.  That's
the advantage of SuSE preload over Fedora preload and Fedora readahead.
SuSE preload uses a static list of course.

There was a Google Summer of Code student working for Ubuntu this past
summer trying to fix these and implement block reordering.  Obviously
that needs kernel patches.  No idea where it got.

  - There's one place that no one can argue preloading is bad: after
login screen is shown and before password entry is completed.  GDM has a
setting to hookup a prefetcher into it.  It's worthwhile making preload
be started then and shutdown for example 10 minutes after login.  With
some tricks and dances, one can make it do really awesome things in that
idle period.

  - So far preload has been idling in kind of unmaintained state, though
after Marc's interest in putting in Fedora I've now merged all the
patches I received (ionice, merging requests, sorting based on block
location, parallel fetching) and will make a new release sometime
soonish.  Note that also due to a silly bug, the current version doesn't
sort request AT ALL.  It's supposed to sort based on file name, but the
compare function has a typo making it a noop.

Anyway, people should read at least Chapter 7 and 8 of the PDF before
discussing further.  I'll try to get that release out in the mean time
so measurements can be more meaningful.

Cheers,

behdad

--