long term support release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 19:47:19 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 23.01.2008 16:56, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Honestly, in my eyes, RHEL/CentOS + EPEL >= Ubuntu LTS, and a separate Fedora
>> LTS is completely unwarranted.
>
> Agreed. But the different names (Fedora != CentOS) make a very very big
> difference for a lot of people and the press. IOW: we might see
> RHEL/CentOS + EPEL as Fedora LTS, but for the world CentOS and Fedora
> are totally different things.

What I'd personally love to see is a split based on the odds of a
problem crashing a previously working machine, picking the things that
could crash the whole machine from the stable CentOS cut (kernel, device
drivers, libc, etc.), then run the more current fedora versions of apps
on top of that.  If a single app crashes it is generally not a huge
issue compared to kernel/driver breakage.  I suppose the trendy way to
accomplish this is with xen, but it seems like a waste to have to run
two kernels just to keep one working.  Perhaps a variation would be
possible where you'd have a full, stock Centos installed, but by
changing your PATH (which could be controlled per login) you'd actually
run in an environment as fedora-like as possible on top of the CentOS
kernel and libc.  Disk space is cheap and I'd much prefer this kind of
failsafe approach to a dual-boot system or running the experimental
stuff under vmware or xen.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com