An interesting read when discussing what to do about our bugs...

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Wed Jan 23 20:47:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:06:22 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2008 10:36 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > A reporter should never be supposed to talk upstream, because he is
> > reporting an issue a problem with the product (your package) you are
> > supposed to be responsible for, not against the product an upstream
> > ships to you (the source tarball).
>
> I think you are wrong. Dead wrong.
> it does absolutely no good for me to attempt to act as a proxy for
> hardware breakage that I can't re-confirm with my own hardware.

-snip-

And with regard to many bugs you can reproduce, which do not require
special hardware, Ralf is right.

Even in the specific case you outline above you are supposed to notify
upstream developers about the problem yourself. Because if you don't, and
if the user does not report the problem upstream, the product *you* ship
might remain broken.