long term support release

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 20:53:14 UTC 2008

2008/1/23 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:50:53 -0500
> Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> wrote:
>
> > Not really.  You have to wait ~6 months for the newest release to
> > stabalize before upgrading to it, so that cuts down the maintained
> > lifetime to only 6 months.
>
> This is ridiculous BS that is self serving.  If everybody waited until
> release+6M to try it out, the "safe" date would become release+12M, and
> so on.  It's entirely a piss poor attitude and does nothing to better
> the project.

Well in a large scale enterprise setting it could be 6 months BUT NOT
because of stability issues on Fedora side. Documenting, coming up
with security plans, support procedures for internal help desk,
testing that software works with internal applications etc usually
took us 2 months on EL with a lot of stuff 'fluffed' over as done by
upstream. In a Fedora setting it took a lot longer as we couldn't say
that there was a commercial entity doing that testing for us. Of
course that would also mean that the packages that came out for Fedora
8 would only get backported fixes etc versus getting updates to the
latest and greatest.